Strategies for Vocabulary Instruction
The intervention consists of four main components:
- Fast Mapping: A quick activity during which students obtain an initial understanding of new words.
- Interactive Book Reading: Repeated readings of unit-related books with a focus on the target vocabulary.
- Conversation: Conversations about the unit content that enable the student and teacher to use target words in context.
- Extension Activities
- Drill and Practice: Interesting activities that allow students to practice target words and definition.
- Conceptual Activities: Interesting activities that allow students to practice target words, definitions, and talk about unit concepts in context.
For each of the four components of ECV-DHH (Fast Mapping, Interactive Book Reading, Conversation and Extension activities) we provide an explanation of the purpose, procedures, examples, and tips for effective implementation. We also include ideas on how to adapt each component for DHH students who use spoken language, sign language, or sign-supported speech (Total Communication).